Little Rhein Steak House - San Antonio’s Most Historic Steak House
The Little Rhein Steak House was established in 1967 and is known as San Antonio’s most historic steak house. Frank W. Phelps and his wife opened the restaurant in the Bombach House, which was built in 1847 and has historical significance as a boarding house, grocery store, private school, museum, and antique shop. The building was used as the official headquarters of the San Antonio Press Club for several years and was later named to the National Register of Historic Places.
In the 19th century, German settlers named the area where the restaurant is situated as the Little Rhein District. The restaurant derives its name from that designation and gains some of its charm and distinction from its location on the riverwalk in La Villita.
Menu offerings include lump crab-stuffed avocado and house-smoked salmon starters along with entrees such as filet mignon, rib eye, and New York strip. Au gratin and twice-baked jalapeno potatoes, braised carrots, and sautéed mushrooms are a just few of the side selections, and desserts such as the signature Little Rhein mudball and Hill Country chocolate brownie, round out the menu.
The restaurant has received the Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator magazine for its fine wine list.
Reservations may be made by calling 210-225-2111 or online at www.littlerheinsteakhouse.com.